This course is a production of the Bureau of Land Management, an agency of the Department of the Interior.
It was produced specifically for use in the Cadastral Survey Training course.
We recommend that you have a copy of the current Manual of Surveying Instructions on hand while taking this course.
This course will identify lands, which for one reason or another were not originally surveyed in harmony with general or specific instruction. In addition, this course looks at present law for conveyance of certain lands to the states. This five part course will cover:
- Swamp Land Grants
- Omitted Areas
- Island Surveys (part 1)
- Island Surveys (part 2)
- Island Surveys (part 3)
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Review survey records related to a swamp land grants, omitted areas, and island surveys.
- Determine the elements of riparian rights.
- Identify historical and legal backgrounds of land boundary changes caused by the dynamic actions of water.
- Determine navigability.
- Identify survey methods for Swamp Land Grants.
- Identify survey methods for Omitted Areas.
- Identify survey methods for Island Surveys.
Approximately 2 hours
Upon reaching the final quiz, you must answer at least 80% of the questions correctly to achieve a passing grade. Retakes are limited to once per 24 hour period.