To qualify for the CFedS Program, registered/licensed land surveyors must meet the following requirements:
- Be a registered/licensed land surveyor under state law in at least one state;
- Have no disciplinary actions within the last 5 years with any state registration board or court resulting in the loss of surveying privileges.
Pre-registered/pre-licensed land surveyors must have passed the NCEES Fundamentals of Surveying examination.
Registration & Fees
All application fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. Payment of fees shall be by credit card. The initial fees cover the cost of the training courses and testing for admission to the program. After you have registered you will be provided with information on where to submit your fees. Once your fees have been processed you will be able to continue with your training and CFedS activity. You have two years or three attempts at the examination, whichever comes first. Initial training, examination, and CFedS certification = $1,200.00.
Register ($1,200) or renew your certification ($40) via this website.
After acceptance into the program, applicants will be required to successfully complete the following initial training courses:
- CFedS I Records Investigation, History of the PLSS, Administrative Procedures, Indian Land Law and Cultural Awareness
- CFedS II Federal Boundary Law and Title Examination
- CFedS III Survey Evidence Analysis
- CFedS IV Restoration of Lost Corners
- CFedS V Introduction to Water Boundaries
- CFedS VI Subdivision of Sections
- CFedS VII Federal Boundary Standards and Business Practices
Applicant will be required to take all of the CFedS courses listed above and successfully complete the quiz associated with each course.
Trainees who have been withdrawn from the Program and have re-registered will be required to retake only the courses and quizzes associated with the exam Unit(s) they have not yet passed.
A course map has been provided to walk you through the materials step-by-step. The course lectures are presented via video from leading experts in the field. Web-based problems, optional training courses, and the quizzes are accessed from the courses main menu. Students will also be able to access course study guides which contain the content, exercises, handouts and other valuable resource information. The website and directions to access the courses will be provided when you are accepted into the program.
The CFedS training is designed to be a self-paced, distance learning program, flexible enough to adjust to the schedules of busy professionals. There is a 20 Week Program designed for those of you that prefer more structure. See below for more information.
Each trainee is given two years or three attempts at passing the certification exam, whichever comes first, to complete the CFedS training and become a CFedS.
Exams are scheduled for the first Friday of each February, June & October.
The CFedS Training Coordinator and our support staff is available to answer questions you may have, so don’t hesitate to contact us to discuss any aspect of the training.
The exam is divided into three units for a total of 6 1/2 hours.
- Unit #1 covers courses 1 & 2 (2 hours)
- Unit #2 covers courses 3 & 4 (2 1/2 hours)
- Unit #3 covers courses 5, 6 & 7 (2 hours)